This barracks was built in 1832 and was garrisoned by British Army regiments until 1922. The Irish army then occupied the building and it was also partly occupied by various government departments. The building seems to have been fully abandoned at some stage in the late 1990s and the building quickly started falling into a bad state of disrepair. A large chunk of the roof collapsed two years ago, leaving the building even more open to the elements.
There are several outbuildings behind the main barracks building but these are almost completely overgrown and contain little of interest. The main barracks building itself it split into three separate sections, with no access between them. This means access to the three separate buildings is slightly tricky. On our first visit we were only able to access the left wing of the building. This wing had only some small signs of previous visits, the building was mostly untouched with loads of old military memorabilia from the second world war lying around. The below photos are all from this wing of the building.